The mission of the UNC Charlotte Family Council is to enrich the 49er student and family experience by supporting impactful engagement opportunities, providing family perspectives, and promoting family philanthropic initiatives.
Members should be parents or guardians of a currently enrolled student. Each member family will serve a one-year, renewable term with the Council, beginning August 1 and running through July 31 of the following year.
Members of the Family Council will…
- Attend three business meetings each year—one in the fall semester and two in the spring semester
- Attend one 49er Family Fund Allocations meeting each spring semester
- Contribute an annual leadership gift of $2, 500 to the 49er Family Fund
Interested in joining the Family Council? Contact Mark Hoover to join or renew your membership.
Questions about the Family Council membership experience? Contact Lisa Gaskin, Associate Director of Family Engagement and Success Initiatives.
- Ricky & Rhonda Allen, Summerfield, NC
- David & Jackie Blackman, Fayetteville, NC
- Patrick & Melissa Boyle, Denver, NC
- Keith & Rochelle Clarke, Cornelius, NC
- Peter Fazio & Jessica Hampton, Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Michael & Lori Henkle, Matthews, NC
- Bob & Kimberly Leger, Bridgewater, NJ
- Matt & Carol Ann Nash, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dr. John Charles & Anne Powers, Winston Salem, NC
- James & Leslie Walden, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dr. Christopher & Jane Whitehurst, Suffern, NY
49er Family Fund Student Life Allocations
Each spring, the Family Council reviews proposals for grant funding from campus departments for new programs or initiatives. These programs are intended to be high impact and focused on bettering and expanding the student experience at UNC Charlotte. The Council prepares recommendations for funding that are reviewed and approved by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Since its start in 2016, the Council (and, by extension, the 49er family community) have allocated over $80,000 in funding to programs from all areas of campus. Click above to learn more about the fund and how to get involved!
Family Council Student Scholarship
In 2017, the Family Council created an endowment to fund a student scholarship for academically successful continuing students who are engaged in their community. Scholarships are $1,000 each, and the first was distributed in fall 2019. Students are able to apply for the scholarship through the Niner Scholars portal each year.